Sunday, October 5, 2008

Interview with Lee Heung Kam and Raymond Lam

What happens when you place Lee Heung Kam together with Raymond Lam? One is a 76 year-old Grandma, the other a bubbly, easy going, full of youth 29 year-old. One would expect the two of them to have at least some barriers in communication, but they surprised us. Both of them are extremely compatible, chatting on various topics; from food to video games and even injuries.

Lee Heung Kam and Raymond Lam Fung

Lee Heung Kam (LHK): Before I worked with you I really didn’t know who you are. They said you’re dating Linda Chung, is that true? But I didn’t get that feeling between you guys (when you look at each other).
Raymond Lam (RL): See my hand and you know I don’t have that moisture la! Actually when I first met you I was a little nervous, since I grew up watching your shows. Then I discovered after Moonlight Resonance finished filming, you have more energy than young people.

Lee Heung Kam and Raymond Lam Fung

LHK: I feel that you’re very good/obedient, just once you weren’t good. I was filming outdoor scenes with you, took a taxi which cost over HKD 100. Then I found out you were sick and I had to take a taxi home. One time when you were sick, after I hugged you I fell sick too. You have a pimple and then I have one, don’t know if you gave me those germs.
RL: Haha! With pimples you can’t infect others ga! Grandma! I thought you would be very imposing, but actually you’re quite easy going, like playing video games and even skipped meals because of it. I heard in the past the arteries in your eye burst because of playing, needed to go to hospital!
LHK: Yeah! I had an arcade machine at home, need to insert money! It has Tetris, Mario Brothers, War games, hero saving beauty….. I was playing it so much I didn’t go out, playing overnight and didn’t sleep. There was a time when I passed a stage I was so happy and screamed and the person upstairs threw a coke bottle down, scaring me.

Lee Heung Kam and Raymond Lam Fung

RL: No wonder when you saw me and Moses hiding and playing games, you came over to examine with us! There’s another thing, actually grandma you like to eat! So compatible with me.
LHK: Yeah! I remember when we filmed outdoor scenes, the car drove past this restaurant which looked quite alluring! And then after work we went to eat together, eat whatever, today we’re eating Spanish cuisine.
RL:
We’ve both injured our knees, so many things the same, can’t believe it. Unfortunately I wasn’t born earlier, otherwise I might chase you!
LHK: Don’t be silly, grandson!
RL: Just kidding! Grandma you have such a good memory, saw you learning so many lines but rarely NG. Even if you made a mistake you can cover it pretty well, so what is your secret?
LHK: I started by singing Chinese opera! In the past I sang for four hours a night, the songs are like a script and had to sing from start to finish. This was how I practiced!

Lee Heung Kam and Raymond Lam Fung

RL: Har!! I can’t even remember the lyrics from the song I’ve sung for a whole year. Speaking of Chinese opera, I know grandma was very popular in the opera circles, especially being the bad character. Can you give me some tips?
LHK: In the past you only used facial expressions to be the bad character, now you need to be bad from the inside, but there’s also a price to pay. I’ve tried going into a cinema to see the audience’s reaction. Someone said, "Na! That Lee Heung Kam is about to come out to scold people." Also said my teeth became like this because of eating watermelons. The next day I immediately went to take out six teeth, then made some fake ones to replace them.
RL: You’re quite extraordinary! Were you unhappy because of those comments? If that was me I wouldn’t know what to do.
LHK: No point in being unhappy, I really wanted the money! At the time a house cost a little over $40,300, I paid in three instalments and came through it!
RL: Very strong woman wor, but now you’re working hard in stage dramas, movies, television and shows, you need to look after yourself more! You seem to be busier than people in the younger generation.
LHK: Those days I was working a lot, the most I’ve filmed in one year is 51 movies. Some movies took four, 7 days to finish. Now many people ask me why I don’t retire and relax, actually I still like acting a lot, don’t feel exhausted. If one day I can no longer be so articulate, then I will retire!
RL: Your attitude sets a good example for the younger generation. No wonder you can be in this industry for so long and still have the popularity, what do you think are the differences between the actors now and the actors from previous generations?
LHK: Before the artistes are like very snobbish, the fans are not as passionate. Before I entered the industry I really like Yam Kim Fai, so I waited outside her house. When I saw her coming out I just watched and didn’t dare to make noise, scared! When she sang I followed her backstage, then going back outside to see her. I’ve also sent letters to her.
RL: I feel the artiste in the past are very protective of themselves, don’t go out anywhere. Making it hard for others to see them! But later television became popular, the distance between artistes and the public have shortened, even Chow Yun Fat would go to the markets!

Translations by Kat @ RaymondLam.org

No comments: